Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Allow me to elaborate?

City Pages "Dressing Room" blog has a neato new feature called
100 Creatives

You can read their profile about me/my art here:
Jennifer Davis : 100 Creatives

I wanted to share a little bit more about this part:
"Name three things that inspired and/or motivated you as a budding creative type:
1. Richard Scary's Best Story Book Ever and my childhood toys. (I recently rediscovered the book and boxes full of my old toys/drawings. Everything I do makes more sense to me now)..."


I had no conscious recollection of these books until I rediscovered my childhood toys.



Could this be the root of my inexplicable obsession with (upsidedown?!?!) wind instruments over the years?!?!



I was pretty surprised to see how many parallels i found between these books and my paintings.







Here is my special TeddyBear- handmade and handed down through my mother's GINORMOUS family:


I guess childhood toys really do matter! Good thing I wasn't into violent video games.

2 comments:

Sarah said...

Richard Scarry is amazing!!
Keep up the good work,
Sarah

Anonymous said...

This is an amazing and profound discovery! Keep that Richard Scarry book and look at it all of the time. Many of my aesthetic tastes stem from childhood books.